Thursday 5 January 2012

University Interview

I had my first interview today,
very scary.
You know when you prepare in your head what you’re going to say, and you go over possible questions and answers that may pop up, and you practise it over and over again, then when it comes to it, it all vanishes?
That’s exactly what happened. My mind went blank. 
All artists names-gone
All exhibitions I visited-gone
All common sense and intellectual vocabulary-gone
Haha, so maybe it wasn’t as bad as I’m making out, and to be honest I’m feeling quite calm about the whole thing, but it was still a scary experience.
So I thought I’d do a little heads up of questions you might get asked in an interview:
Why do you want to do this course?
I always find this one the hardest to explain, because you can’t just say ‘I like it’.
Talking about how you’re interest in the course started is a good way to start.
What are your strengths in relation to this course?
This one is a bit easier, you can talk about things you are particularly good at, or enjoy more than others, as your strong points.
What are your weaknesses?
The best thing to do here is tell the truth. I have always had a lot of trouble with drawing, it really isn’t my strong point, and since applying for university, all the courses take drawing skills as an important part of the course. It really freaked me out and I was terrified there was no way I could get onto a course because I find it difficult to draw. But since applying I have been working on different ways of recording things, other than drawing, that work for me and that I feel comfortable with, whilst still doing the same job as normal drawing. I think it’s good to show that you are working on ways around or to improve your weakness rather than denying it or hiding from it.
Where do you get your inspiration from/keep up to date with the subject?
(this relates more to art subjects, but you could probably apply it to other subjects)
Obviously, if you have sources of inspiration and you keep up to date with the subject, then this is easy to answer as you can just say what you do. I get the majority of my inspiration from blogs, along with a few bits and bobs from gallery and museum visits, and I tend to read blogs and news articles that relate to whats going on in the art world, but not religiously.

So those are the main questions in which my brain completely erased itself for.
Check awt my new galaxy print cardigan that mah bestie got me for xmas :)
Bye !